Saturday, January 22, 2011

I was pleased to discover that...


Rodney's Bookstore has NOT closed in Central Square. Whatever the hell was wrong got set to rights and they seem to be surviving nicely in their current location. This is good because the joint was a much needed dimly lit refuge for me after my saucy optometrist dilated my eyes today during my annual exam.
In fact to celebrate I bought Alan Schom's history of the 100 Days of Napoleon Bonaparte.
***
Up the street at Pandemonium Books I managed to score for a good cheap copy of Edgar Rice Burroughs' "The Land of Terror" (I figure on polishing off his "Pellucidar" series once and for all)...YES it had a Frank Frazetta cover.
***
GHod Bless, the Harvard Bookstore, their idea of wholesale remainder table piffle is Gustav Le Bon's "The Psychology of Revolution", a book I've been wanting to read for years.
***
BTW can anyone tell me why I can't seem to find a good cheap copy of Jack Kerouac's "The Dharma Bums" anywhere? The closest I came in three attempts was a FIFTEEN DOLLAR trade paperback at Porter Square Books..."Highway Robbery" to quote my grey haired old Irish Mother.
I think, it may be time to repair all these indignities by way of the public library.
***
I won't mention any names but I did catch a veteran local bookseller head down in his arms, ungently snoring as I passed thru a-questing for Kerouac. Bought instead Clive Webb's history of great southern Rabble Rousers of the 1960's.

Yeah I know I bought a lot of books today, I'm an addict at least it's cheaper than cocaine.

No comments: